SUN AS AN IMPORTANT SOURCE OF ENERGY
The demand for the renewable energy sources have been increasing recently due to high prices of the fossil fuels and large scale pollution created by them. One of the most acceptable forms of the renewable energy sources is the energy from the sun, which is called as the solar energy.
APPLICATIONS OF SOLAR ENERGY
WHAT IS A PV SOLAR MODULE?
- Solar Water Heaters: These are used to heat water for various domestic purposes like bathing and also for industrial applications.
- Solar Cooker: These used to cook food. The raw food is kept in the solar cooker which absorbs the heat from the sun.
- Solar Street Light: The street lights absorb solar energy during the day time, which is used to illuminate the streets at night using battery. These are mounted on the poles along the sides of the road.
- Solar Lanterns: These are the portable lights that can be easily moved from one place to the other. Their charging is done by solar light and they are mainly used at night.
- Solar Photovoltaic Cells: These are used to power the appliances like calculator, and even the spacecrafts. They can also be used to generate electricity from solar energy, which can be used for various appliances at home. Photovoltaic cells are also being experimented to run the electric motors installed in the vehicles to run the vehicles.
The solar module contains 12 / 24 / 36 / 72 mono or poly crystalline silicon solar cells connected in series / parallel. All cells are electrically matched to assure the maximum power output possible. System voltages of 24 volt DC and higher can be obtained by connecting modules in series. Higher currents can be obtained by connecting modules in parallel.
CONSTRUCTION OF SOLAR MODULE
A high impact resistant and highly transparent tempered glass plate, in front side of the module, offers adequate protection against environmental hazards such as rain, hail, snow, ice and storms. The back of the solar module consists of a Tedlar-Polyster-Tedlar foil, offering reliable protection against penetration of moisture and dirt. The solar cells are embedded in ultraviolet stabilized ethyl-vinyl-acetate (EVA). The highly corrosion resistant anodized aluminium alloy frame provides structural support for the solar module.
JUNCTION BOX OF SOLAR MODULE
The junction box provides a high quality, dust and watertight housing for the rigid connection block. It is fitted with one cable gland. These cable glands can be used for taking out electrical connection from the solar module. The junction box is fitted to the aluminium frame for better mechanical strength.
Inside the junction box there is a 3 pole connection block. Two bypass diodes can be incorporated in to the junction box offering an adequate "hot spot" protection of the solar cells. Solar modules of 20W and below are connected with junction box having 2 poles. There is no provision for connecting bypass diodes in these modules.
ADVANTAGES OF PV SYSTEM
UNIQUE SPECIFICS OF PV SYSTEM
- Solar panels can be installed in houses / roof-tops and cheap barren lands having sunny weather conditions throughout the year.
- Reduced operating costs given the fact that solar power is free.
- Harmful effects to the environment is reduced (no carbon emissions).
- Reduced dependency to imported crude oil & coal.
MASS POWER SMART SOLAR INVERTER
- Requires space of 80 sq.ft per KW
- Works only with sun light during day time (Typically 10 hours)
- Capacity Utilization Factor (CUF) is between 16% – 24% depending on the irradiance
- 1KW of SPV module with Smart Solar Inverter gives a maximum of 4-6 units/day
- Average efficiency of the Output power from the inverter connected with module is not more than 65%
WHAT IS A HYBRID SOLAR SYSTEM?
- Is a micro-inverter which converts direct current (DC) from a single solar panel to alternating current (AC). The electric power from several micro-inverters is combined and sent to the consuming devices.
- Produce grid-matching power directly at the back of the panel. Arrays of panels are connected in parallel to each other and fed to the grid.
- Maximizes the solar power harvest.
ADVANTAGES OF HYBRID SOLAR SYSTEM WITH MASS POWER SOLAR INVERTER
- Complements the Mass Power Smart Solar Inverter.
- Controls the source of the power to the user by the inbuilt smart logic with levels of control.
- Used to share all the power sources namely Utility, Solar, DG and Battery.
- Depending on the availability and usage, the system switches between the power sources.
APPLICATIONS OF MASS POWER SOLAR INVERTER
- Works seamlessly in synchronization with Utility / Generator / Windmill.
- Modular and Scalable from 250 Watts to Megawatts.
- Optimizes the energy harvest.
- Reduced installation costs.
- Improved system reliability up to 25 years.
- Maintenance free.
- Small & Medium Industries
- Educational Institutions
- IT Parks
- Villas & Flats
- Reduced power & oil bill up to 60%
- 30% subsidy from Government up-to 100 KW for individual beneficiary and 250 KW for RESCOS / NGOS feeding Rural Grid
- 80% accelerated depreciation under Renewable energy Section of IT act of GOI
- REC (Renewable Energy credit) can be availed for 1MW & above Solar projects